Journal of Discourses 1:97; “The principle, the only one that beats and throbs through the heart of the entire inhabitants of this Territory, is simply this: The man who seduces his neighbors wife must die, and her nearest relative must kill him!” – George A. Smith, Salt Lake City, October 1851
Revelation 21:8; “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.”
Let’s take a good look at the circumstances of what Mr. Smith had to say, what was going on and who he was.
1. Vengeance belongs to God, not us.
2. Thou shalt not kill.
3. George A. Smith was the younger brother of Joseph and his beloved older brother stole wives all the time so do those rules pertain to his brother as well?
4. George Smith was a practicing polygamist with eleven wives so how could this man be trusted with his teachings?
5. What law in the US allows such treatment of another human being?
6. Where in the Bible do we find this to be acceptable or commanded by God?