Inspired of God?
Alma 17:9-10; “And it came to pass that they journeyed many days in the wilderness, and they fasted much and prayed much that the Lord would grant unto them a portion of his Spirit to go with them, and abide with them, that they might be an instrument in the hands of God to bring, if it were possible, their brethren, the Lamanites, to the knowledge of the truth, to the knowledge of the baseness of the traditions of their fathers, which were not correct. 10 And it came to pass that the Lord did visit them with his Spirit, and said unto them: Be comforted. And they were comforted.”
Hebrews 13:9a; “Be not carried about with divers and strange doctrines…”
This little excerpt from the BoM supposedly took place in 70 BC. I have a few questions…
1. What portion of God’s spirit went with them?
2. Exactly where were these Nephites when they called upon the Lord?
3. How were they comforted? Did God somehow instill in their spirits the feelings of comfort?
4. Which fathers is this passage speaking about?
In my BoM it directed me to go to Jacob chapter seven which said this was the fathers in Israel.
5. Is this passage talking about the horrible traditions of the Israelites in 600 BC or 70 BC?
6. Why would the traditions of the Israelites in 600 BC have anything to do with what the Lamanites were doing in America in 70 BC?
7. Are the traditions in Israel in 600 BC the cause of the Lamanites’ problems in America; if so how? What were they doing in America that resembled the Israelites behavior 500+ yrs earlier?
8. What purpose does this serve my mother who is devout Mormon?
And finally – how does this passage glorify God?